Monday 19 March 2018

Sofa Spotlight - Quiet, Susan Cain

I feel like I was very late to read this book – well actually that’s probably the story of my life, but anyway every time I told someone I was reading this they would say “oh yeah I’ve  read that.” Often this was followed with a “it’s really good.” Which I was discovering. It’s taken me nearly a year if not longer to read it so now I’m really late. So if, like me, you’re late on this too here’s what it’s about.

First off it’s a book about introverts. And this introvert likes to read – so perfect – it’s like reading a book about what I’m like. Kind of. There’s a lot of science to get through – or enjoy if that’s what you like. For me I didn’t understand all of it, but the parts that I did understand made a lot of sense. What resonated the most were the parts that talked about how introverts interact with extroverts. Which in my world is as little as possible. But that’s starting to change.

There were quite a few moments when reading this that I thought – yeah I totally do that. And when you tie that in with the science suddenly I was thinking that maybe my need to be alone isn’t as anti-social as I first thought. Curling up with a book and shutting out the world for a bit is ok. Also the fact that I have no problem standing up and speaking to a room full of people but then have major problems spending time with more than four or five people at a time, is no longer a mystery to me.

If you’re in any way interested in the human mind and how it works then this is a good book to read. I find it fascinating, but my interest has mainly been about how the brain processes and deals with language – seriously it’s amazing. This is dealing with a different part of the brain to the parts that I’ve studied in the past, but it’s been no less enjoyable.

There’s more to this book than just science – so it’s worth working through it if science puts you off. I enjoyed the sections on history – how being an extrovert became what everyone wanted to be and thought you should be – and also the sections on how different cultures have different ideas on whether being an extrovert or an introvert is better. Towards the end there’s stuff on how introverts can navigate the world and thrive. I guess for me the danger is that I will hide behind an introvert label and use it as an excuse not to make an effort with people when I really don’t feel like it.

I finished the book with lots to think about – which is a sign of a good book right?

Oh and did I say that the cover looks great? Because it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment