Wednesday 22 April 2015

Sofa Spotlight - Captains Courageous, Rudyard Kipling

It's over and it was over quickly. But I think it was a good length. The story follows the adventures of the son of a millionaire who gets swept overboard and picked up by a fishing vessel. He then spends the next few months learning the ways of a fisherman before being taken back to shore. It had a feel of The Famous Five to it, and it was a pleasant light book to read.

I definitely enjoyed the read, but I did have to work hard on the many accents that are represented in it. There's American, Scots, Dutch, Portuguese and others. Given that I'm not keen on reading dialects, multiple dialects worried me a bit. But it actually worked out ok and I don't think it took anything away from my enjoyment of the book. The only other thing that I would say is that the character of Harvey's dad didn't seem believable to me. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would raise the kind of person that Harvey was at the beginning of the story. 

Anyway I would definitely recommend it if you are after a quick read that's just a bit of fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment