Thursday 27 November 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

For all my American friends out there, Happy Thanksgiving!! For one day only will I overlook the events of 1776. In terms of what I have been reading this week nothing could be less American! I've been dipping in and out of The Real Jane Austen.

This is a book that you have to read if you want to get a feel for the world in which Jane Austen lived. I am hoping that I will finish it either this weekend or sometime next week, so I don't want to steal my own thunder, but I can't help telling you a little bit more about it! I think EG is despairing about how obsessed that I have become about it.

I think the reason that I like it so much is that it has a wider scope than just Jane Austen's life. Bryne puts her life into the context of the time that she was living and I find it interesting to see what events may have influenced her novels. The thing that blew my mind the most was the house that may have actually inspired Pemberley, and it isn't Chatsworth. Check out the link below to see the suggestion that Bryne makes. You will have to read it to find out why she thinks it is a candidate. 


Last weekend we also went to see the Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 1. I have to say that I enjoyed it, and for those of you wondering I think that it was fairly faithful to the book. My favourite part was when there was a scene that made a lot of people jump. EG was sat on one side of me and she jumped, as did the people we didn't know on the other side of me. I was not shocked by what had happened, but ended up jumping anyway because everyone jumping made me jump! What a sheep I am!

In the film Katniss sings a song that I have become a little bit obsessed with, and I have discovered that I only have to sing the first line for it to get stuck in EG's head. Oh how it annoys her. Anyway if you haven't seen or read any of the Hunger Games trilogy make it a priority to do so at once. Eating is optional, reading the Hunger Games is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment