Friday 3 October 2014

Walking through a Book

A book that I've been enjoying this week is On Looking by Alexandra Horowitz. The idea behind the book is that when we walk around our towns and cities, they have become so familiar to us that we stop looking at them properly. Horowitz in her book decides to take a walk with a few different people, all who look for different things when they walk and probably notice more than the rest of us.

So I've been trying to take more notice of what is around me when I am out and about. The problem is that I make this resolution when I am reading the book, but by the time I go out I have forgotten all about it. Thus I haven't noticed anything extra just yet, but I am working on it and will keep you posted.

The chapter that I have enjoyed the most so far was one about noticing the signs of animal life. I'm guessing there is just as much animal life in UK cities as there is in American citites. I am on the lookout for signs of animal neighbours, but hopefully not rats. Next door have a cat, but that is all I have seen so far.

A rabbit would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment