Monday 16 June 2014

Three Reasons to Read Nathaniel Hawthorne

If you've been near me when I've been reading any of Hawthorne's books you might wonder why I would want to recommend that you read one. Well here are three reasons:

1. They shed light on an emerging culture

From what I have read so far, Hawthorne writes of an America that is just beginning to emerge as the America we know today. When I have been reading his works I have kept forgetting that he is writing about America and not the UK. I have enjoyed seeing what those early days would have been like, it has broadened my horizons a bit.

2. They make you appreciate concise writing

This may be a bit harsh, so shoot me down if I deserve it, but Hawthorne likes to express his opinion a bit too much. In my opinion he wanders along tangents for too long and they often get in the way of the story. But, you don't miss the water til the well runs dry, and you don't miss concise prose until you read waffle. Sorry Hawthorne, I do like your work, though at times that might be difficult to believe.

3. Because sometimes you find a gem that makes it all worth it.

In a collection of short stories called Mosses from an old Manse I found a short story called the Celestial Railroad. It was brilliant and I loved every minute of it. Hawthorne had borrowed a bit from John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress to create a sequel that I found to be very accurate. In my mind it was worth reading the rest of the book just for that one story. There were other good stories in there too, so that was a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment