Saturday 3 May 2014

Sofa Shelf

A few newbies to the shelf this week:

One Thousand and One Ghosts - Alexandre Dumas

A Christmas present and from what I've read a bit of scary one. Page seven and I was terrified. We will see if I have the courage to make it to the end. So far it is about the murder of a woman who is decapitated by her husband. He goes mad because he claims that the head spoke to him after he had removed it. Spooky.

When Pierrot was Young - Alexandre Dumas

Another Dumas, another Christmas present. This is a children's book and there are lots of pictures! It will definitely help with the book challenge! It is about the King of Bohemia and how he met Pierrot. Bit of a fun read.

Walking with God - J. C. Ryle

The last of the Ryle books that I own. I've read this one before a few years ago, but I thought I would revisit it. It is an abridged version of Practical Religion. It weighs in at 144 pages, and the chapters look to be of reasonable length. Would probably be a good place to start if you've never read Ryle before.

The House of the Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne

Time for a bit of Hawthorne. Not my favourite author but he is ok. Have read one book by him before but not this one. Apparently it is about the Pyncheon family who are a clan under a dead man's curse. Sounds dramatic. We shall see if its 319 pages are worthy of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment