Saturday 17 May 2014

Sofa Shelf Update - Will the French books outnumber the English books soon?

There seems to be a fair bit on the shelf right now. The French books have been translated into English. My knowledge of the French language is almost non-existent so I need the translations. 

A Book of Narrative Verse - compiled by V. H. Collins

Not been inspired to pick this up.

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith 

Not read for a while :(

Racing Through the Dark - The Fall and Rise of David Millar

I've just been reading this. So far I've got through the process that he went through to get into doping, he has been caught and is starting to put his life back together. It has been a sad read, although interesting, because of the cycling world's attitude to doping. Good to see that things have changed. 

Celebrated Crimes - Alexandre Dumas

Not fancied reading about the Borgia family this week.

The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

I finished it. This is what I thought. And it gets me a star.

One Thousand and One Ghosts - Alexandre Dumas 

As this book has so far failed to live up to its title, in the number of ghosts it is supposed to be about, I have not read any in protest. Not really, just not had time.

Walking with God - J. C. Ryle

Another one that I have finished. This is what I thought. No star with this one.

The House of the Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne

A good plot, creepy at times, but it is hard work getting past Hawthorne's commentary. It is about the descendants of a man who brought a curse on the family. I am assuming that this curse will be undone at some point in the story.

A Life's Ambition - Alexandre Dumas

Not read it this week. I last saw the main character (who I think was a real person) freezing, starving and trying to get into a city without any identification. It wasn't going too well for them.

The Journal of Madame Giovanni - Alexandre Dumas

Not read, but I am liking the adventures that are told, even though some of them are a little random.

The Prince of Thieves - Alexandre Dumas

A fifteen year old Robin Hood has just told a noble man that he can't be the bandit that the noble man is looking for, because he has a nice face and lives with his parents. I've never thought of Robin Hood living with his parents before, sort of diminishes his heroness ('heroness' not a real word, but I can't think of a better one!)  



No comments:

Post a Comment