Wednesday 2 April 2014

Sofa Shelf Update

I've finished two of the books that were on the shelf. Here is how I'm getting on with the rest of them.

Compared to Her - Sophie de Witt

This is one that I've finished. Find out what I thought about it here

A Book of Narrative Verse - compiled by V. H. Collins

Over the weekend I fell asleep reading it! I've got past the Chaucer poems and Old Ballads, neither of which I understood. Tonight I read extracts from work by Edmund Spenser and John Milton. Milton was the best so far but even that I found hard work. Does anyone else have this problem or is there something that I am missing? 

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

Love it. Not that far through but I'm enjoying the build up of the main characters. However, I am learning that I wouldn't make a very good detective. Looking forward to my next reading session of this.

Racing Through the Dark - The Fall and Rise of David Millar

Sadly not had a chance to read any of this recently. Did some actual cycling instead though. 

Holiness - J. C. Ryle

I'm not far from finishing this and it has been a challenge. Not only does it require a fair bit of concentration but it doesn't leave you feeling warm and cosy. So far I am beginning to realise that I don't come anywhere close to the standard of holiness that God requires. Makes me very glad that Jesus met that requirement on my behalf, but also it pushes me to think about how I am responding to God's mercy. Watch this space. 

Wessex Tales - Thomas Hardy

Finished this one at the weekend. Read about it here.

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

So far it's ok, not grabbing my attention yet though. I'm about a third of the way through so still time for me to get into it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment