Tuesday 18 March 2014

The Sofa Shelf

There are currently four books on the shelf:

Compared to Her - Sophie de Witt 

I'm reading this one because an old housemate recommended it last May and it's about time I got on with reading it! My housemate made brilliant cake, so hopefully her book recommendations are just as good. Shame she isn't here to bring me a piece of cake while I read it. I have to say that it's not a book I would choose to read. The blurb says that it is a book about 'Compulsive Comparison Syndrome' - not something I have thought much about. Maybe that is a good enough reason to read it in itself. So far I've read the introduction and I'm intrigued.

A Book of Narrative Verse - compiled by V. H. Collins

Poetry isn't a genre I enjoy. I've tried a few times and this is my latest attempt. It's on loan from my Dad, I'm not sure where or when he got it but it's the 1972 edition. I've no idea who V H Collins is either, so I'm going in blind, but hopefully it will be an experience that I will enjoy. Again all I've read so far is the introduction.

The Well-Beloved - Thomas Hardy

For the past six months I've been working my way through Hardy's works. I haven't read all of his novels and I probably won't on this visit, but what I have read I have enjoyed. I certainly haven't tried his poetry -
not brave enough for that yet. The cover of this book is truly awful. It's another edition from the 1970s, which may explain the cover. I'll let you see it in a later post. I picked it up in a charity shop for not many pennies so I can't complain. I've got further than the introduction with this one, in fact I've nearly finished it. I'll let you know what I'm thinking about it soon.

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

This is J. K. Rowling writing a crime novel. I've never read any of the Harry Potter books - they don't appeal to me - so I can't compare the two. What I have read of this seems really good. I'm glad to be trying a bit of crime fiction, I can't remember having read any before. I have it on loan from a friend, if the whole book is as good as what I have read so far I will be taking more recommendations from her!


I'm interested to know what you think about my choice of books, and if you agree with what I think of them.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth great you're blogging! I pray you'll blog for God's glory!
    I've heard good things from several women about 'Compared to her', so I think that might be useful to read to get a window on an issue for many.
    Happy reading!
    Gerry Straker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gerry, I've heard a lot about it so I'm glad that I'm finally getting to read it for myself.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're reading 'Compared to Her'. You don't have to have the problem to understand her main point. Get the 'I' out of your life and put God back in the centre.

    ReplyDelete